Dining at DDS
At Dutchess Day School our CIA trained chef strives to create menus and meals that are healthy, seasonal and delicious. Eating family style with fellow schoolmates and teachers promotes a sense of community and cooperation within the school. The children are involved in the daily operation of the dining room, setting the tables and acting as servers who bring the food to the tables and clear at the end of the meal. Students do well with these responsibilities, providing a service to the school community. In addition to a healthy, family oriented environment, the Dutchess Day kitchen staff highlights special holidays and projects. The school enjoys a simple meal at Thanksgiving, scary fare at Halloween, and various themed lunches in support of the school curricula.
Some of the highlights from the DDS lunch menu include:
• Daily salad bar with house made salads and dressings
• Hormone and antibiotic free milk
• Fresh fruits and vegetables
• Whole grain sandwich bread
• Brown rice and whole grain pasta
• Milk, eggs, apples, beef and chicken from local farms
• Two fresh made soups served daily
In addition, all disposable materials used are compostable, and children with special dietary needs and allergies are accommodated with individual attention.